DON’T BE A “FRAIDY CAT”!
- Posted on: Aug 15 2015
Statistically, one in four of us dreads a visit to the dentist! In fact, fear of the dentist is right up there with speaking in public.
Maybe it’s fear of pain or needles…or embarrassment or the sounds and smells that bring back memories of awful dental experiences when you were a child. Seniors commonly fear the dentist. It is likely they had a painful dental procedure when anesthesia was not used and their comfort was not a consideration.
Take heart: At Wylie Dental Care, we understand your fears and we will do everything we can to make your dental visit anxiety free!
- Make it early. Pick an appointment time early in the morning so you have less time to dwell on it.
- Have moral support. Take a friend along!
- Easy does it. Begin with an exam and a cleaning.
- Communicate. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! It could be that the ‘unknown’ is what you fear, especially if it has been many years since you last visited a dentist. If you are anxious about a procedure, talk with us about it.
- Use your hands. It’s impossible to talk with a mouthful of dental tools. Tell us before your procedure how you would like to communicate any pain or discomfort you may feel.
- Get distracted. Tune in to tune out! Let your mind wander; think about something else. Listen to the radio or a a podcast on your mobile device.
- Take a breather and take a break. If you feel, at any time, like you need take a break, let us know. Especially during long procedures, anxiety can build and you may begin to feel claustrophobic.
- Take advantage of anesthesia and/or Medication. We offer several ways to calm you and make your visit pleasant. Dr. Wylie will be happy to discuss those with you during your consultation.
Don’t lose sleep or worry about what might happen at the dentist’s office. Let us put your fears to rest. Your oral health is well worth the effort!
Call for a consultation, today!
Posted in: General Dentistry